Wednesday 18 January 2012

Orca Cake

 I thought I would share this cake of an orca whale with you today. I made it last year for a friends birthday and I was so happy with it at the time.

 I still am quite proud of it (its okay to be proud of your cakes!) although now I've learnt a little more about how to finish cakes off properly I'm viewing it through different eyes!

 I really wish I'd have piped some royal icing around the bottom of the cake where the seam meets the drum - how much neater would that have looked? I also wish I'd have used a thicker drum, covered it and added the blue ribbon around the base instead of around the cake. I think it would have benefitted from some writing and maybe a little extra around the sides of the cake.

Thats the beauty of cake craft though - you learn something new with every cake you make. Learning to finish a cake properly is so important and makes your end customer that much happier! (makes you happier too!)

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant cake and very realistic. I love it well done. Am interested to know how you achieved the shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I broke all rules with the shine effect! I painted the fondant with water using a paint brush then put it in the fridge for about an hour. It gave it a nice glossy effect like the whale had just come out of the sea. I made the little scar on his face by pricking the cold, fridge set whale with a little pin. As It pierced it created little lines to look like the scar.

    ReplyDelete